1. Where to apply
All visa applicants travelling to Germany as their main destination have to apply at the Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Lagos in person.
The Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Abuja will issue visas only in exceptional cases. Please refer to Number 5 for more details.
Appointments for your visa interview at the Consulate General have to be booked online. Please note that a separate appointment for every person intending to travel (also for minors) is required.
Only complete applications can be accepted. In case of incomplete documents, you can be rejected on the day of your appointment or your visa application may be refused. Documents sent in before or after the appointment date cannot be considered. You are requested to submit your complete documents even if you are a regular visitor to the Schengen states.
2. Applicants who do not need an appointment
- applicants for transit visas
- applicants on official duty ("note verbale holders" only)
!!! Change of appointment procedure !!!
From 1st of November (01.11.2016) experts participating in scientific / academic conferences and trade fair need to schedule an appointment for the visa interview.
Starting August 15th, 2017, applicants who apply for a visa for medical treatment need to book an appointment in advance.
These above listed applicants may appear in person at the visa section of the German Consulate General in Lagos from Monday to Friday at 6.30 a.m.
Only those applicants who present a complete application form together with all the required documents (including one copy of each original) will be admitted.
Attention: Due to the limited number of applicants who can be dealt with each day, access to the visa section for the above mentioned applicants cannot be guaranteed. Given the very high demand for visas during the German summer months, it is highly recommended to book an appointment in advance in order to avoid any inconveniences and ensure admission to the premisses of the Consulate General.
3. Interview Waiver
Persons who have travelled within the last 24 months at least 3 times to the Schengen States with a Schengen visa or once with a one-year multiple entry visa issued by this Consulate General AND who have submitted a previous application at this Consulate General since 14.03.2013 qualify for the Interview Waiver option. These persons are required to book an appointment, however, they are NOT required to submit their applications in person, but can bring the application through a third party. Please note that a written letter of authorization is required! They are also exempt from the interview - thus shortening the process considerably.
Please understand that dealers of spare parts, used cars or other used goods are not eligible for this scheme.
4. Visa fee
The visa fee for Schengen Visa is the equivalent amount of 60 Euro payable in Nigerian Naira. The fee for long-term visa is the equivalent amount of 75 Euro payable in Nigerian Naira. Payment is to be effected in cash at the time of submission of the application ONLY.
Children under the age of 6 years are exempt from the visa fee if applying for a Schengen Visa, the visa fee for minors aged 6-12 years is 35,- Euros.
The fee for a long-term visa for all children under the age of 18 is 37.50 Euros.
Spouses and minor children of German nationals as well as parents of German minor children are exempt from the visa fee for all visa categories. Under certain conditions there might be a reduction / exemption from the general visa fee - however, these circumstances are checked by the visa officer during the submission of the application.
5. Visa Section in Abuja
Only applicants on official and medical emergency trips residing in the administrative area of the German Embassy Abuja are accepted: F.C.T., Niger, Kwara, Kogi, Nassarawa, Benue, Taraba, Plateau, Adamawa, Gombe, Bauchi, Kaduna, Zamfara, Kebbi, Sokoto, Katsina, Kano, Jigawa, Yobe, Borno. Please see the list of eligible applicants below.
The visa section in Abuja can only process applications for Schengen visas (C-Visas, short term). Unfortunately with the exception of diplomats who are travelling to Germany for accreditation, no national visas (D-Visas) can be processed in Abuja.
Employees of the Federal Level:
1. Federal Authorities:only official trips / official passports, for private trips only with a note verbale from the MFA. Applicant must be working actively for the federal authority (please provide payslip as proof)
3. National Assembly
4. State House
6. Military: Only official trips with invitation from Germany
7. SSS: only official trips or with full cost coverage
Applicants may be accompanied by one PA, spouse and children.
1. Governors from the Embassy’s jurisdiction (plus 1 PA, spouse, children if travelling together with governor)
2. Spouses and children of Germans living in Embassy’s jurisdiction
(+ non-married partners, who have already obtained visa in Lagos / Abuja and have already travelled)
3. Transit travellers leaving from Abuja
4. Visitors for the Nigerian Embassy in Berlin/ Nigerian Consulate General in Frankfurt living within the Embassy’s jurisdiction
5. Employees of the German political foundations in Nigeria and GIZ (+ spouse and children) living in the Embassy’s jurisdiction
6. Members of the Diplomatic Corps in Abuja (+ spouse and children) and employees of diplomatic missions who have already received visa in Lagos / Abuja and have already travelled.
7. Participants of visitor programmes organized by German federal authorities (only with full cost coverage!)
8. DAAD / AvH fellows: scholarship trips that are less than three months; only applicants living in the Embassy’s jurisdiction
9. Employees of the UN and ECOWAS in Abuja (only for official trips)
10. Urgent medical treatment in Germany (max. two accompanying persons plus attending doctor)
11. Participants of conferences/trainings hosted by the German federal authorities/the political foundations/GIZ living in the Embassy’s jurisdiction (only with full cost absorption)
Eligible applicants are required to book individual appointments for each person travelling. Appointments can be booked here: Contact the Visa Section of the German Embassy Abuja
Please state name, reason for travel and reason for eligibility (see above) in your e-mail.